Sam Magill MCC
Executive, Leadership & Coach Supervisor
Sam Magill, in addition to thirty years experience coaching leaders to become more effective and highly valued within their organizations, is also a coach of coaches. As one of a small number of executive coaches in the United States who has specifically studied coaching supervision, he offers a high level of insight and self-reflection for new and experienced coaches. Sam's executive coaching clients benefit from his dedication to staying up-to-date on coaching best practices. He brings a rich understanding of issues faced by leaders in settings as diverse as healthcare, manufacturing, high-tech, government, education, and financial services. He helps his clients interpret their experiences and create new responses to complex challenges.
Sam has operated his own practice since 1996. His experience is rooted in work as an internal consultant, coach, and manager at The Boeing Company from 1988 to 1996. Prior to Boeing he was Associate Director of Continuing Education at the University of Washington. His earliest coaching was in 1973 when he coached professionals who had immigrated to the U.S. and sought employment commensurate with their skills.
Sam's education includes an M.B.A. from California State University-East Bay where he researched performance evaluation, (1977), and coach specific training at the Hudson Institute of Santa Barbara (2001), where he also taught coaching from 2002 to 2008. In 2004 he received the status of Master Certified Coach from the International Coach Federation (ICF). He also holds an accredited diploma from the Coaching Supervision Academy, London, England, (2010) and has been teaching their diploma course in the US and in France since 2012. (Sam conducts coaching in French as well as English.)
"In 2006 he received the status of Master Certified Coach from the International Coach Federation (ICF). "
His broad understanding of how people work is enhanced through his work as a poet and photographer. In 2006, he published his first book of poetry, Fully Human. Sam offers keynote talks using imagery, poems, and stories about encounters with everyday people. The ICF Washington State, a local chapter of International Coach Federation, elected Sam to serve as president in 2011-12. He is recognized throughout the U.S., France, and England as a master coach and proponent of high-quality, ethical, and effective coaching.
A sample list of clients includes:
- American Academy of Family Physicians - CEO, vice presidents, managers. Multilevel work on organization change and cooperation among divisions.
- The Boeing Company - division presidents, CEO , vice presidents, information technology groups, airplane factory director and managers at every level. Taught a wide range of leadership-related courses.
- Boeing Employees Credit Union (ranked number 4 in assets among top 50 credit unions in US) - CEO and executive team.
- Port Blakely Companies - executive team coaching.
- Battelle Energy Alliance, Pacific Northwest National Labs, and Idaho National Labs - lab director (chief officer), executive management, and leadership team members. Also, large-scale organization redesign involving 120 people.
- MultiCare Health Systems, Tacoma, Washington - CEO and executive team members; leadership education and large-scale organization improvement involving 1,200 people. Positive results continue to be reported after ten years according to CEO.
- Coaching of coaches (coaching supervision) in France, Canada, Czech Republic, and the United States.
- Seeds of Compassion Conference, Seattle - lead facilitator for meeting of 450 people and presentation to His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
- SNV - Netherlands Development Organization - Country Director for Cameroon.
- Washington State Department of Health (WSDH). Secretary of Health (member of Governor's Cabinet) and senior team, as well as consultant and facilitator assisting WSDH work with statewide local health jurisdictions in planning for pandemic influenza.
Sam has been making presentations in France for the past several years in French. He has presented at three International Coach Federation conferences and France. The French based outplacement coaching firm, 2Cconceiles, has contracted with him to provide outplacement coaching in both French and English. He was the keynote speaker in May, 2009, for the 100 Ways training company's Cycle de Perfectionnement au métier de COACH.
"...keynote speaker in May, 2009, for the 100 Ways training company's Cycle de Perfectionnement au métier de COACH."
Sam will be co-presenting the 4th cohort of the Coaching Supervision Academy – North America accredited diploma in coaching supervision in Edmonds, Washington beginning in September 2018.
Sam was the International Keynote Speaker at the Oxford Brookes 4th International Conference on Coaching Supervision in 2014 held in the UK.
To read about Sam Magill's coaching supervision demonstration of a Master Coach's coaching demonstration